Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"The hardest job you will ever love." -Peace Corps

So...you all are probably wondering what I'm actually doing in Rwanda. I forgot that I haven't mentioned my actual job details in previous posts. I will try to give a brief summary, but to be honest things change and/or are added on a weekly basis.
I teach at an all girls boarding school, which houses approximately 750 girls. The school focuses on math and science, with a particular focus on leadership and empowerment. I am teaching english, life skills, and reproductive health 4 days a week. In addition, I am working on establishing a volunteer program. That consists of locating and contacting various organizations within the community who are seeking volunteers to help with mentoring, teaching english, spending time with children at orphanages, etc. As of right now I have 4 places (schools, NGO's, orphanages) that I am working with. I take about 15-20 girls to each location at least once a month. So far, so good...I haven't lost my mind yet...haha. Also, I am starting a career/guidance counseling program. Career counseling, and just counseling services in general, is not in existence here. Within the entire country there are only 2 counseling centers. I have been spending alot of time researching and contacting people about resources and information on applying to university here in Rwanda and also in the states, and various career options. A majority of my students don't believe they have options when it comes to careers. They truly think, since it's a math and science focused school, that they can only become a doctor or an engineer. They don't know that there are tons of others things they can do within those fields. To be honest, many of them were told they were going to this school once they scored really high on their exams. Its one of the top 3 schools in the country, so its a privilege to get in. Whether they want to pursue math or science, doesn't matter...attendance at this school makes them and their families look good. Oh, and I just found out today that I need to start working with the Anti-AIDS club. I was actually going to put this off til next term, just so I can get my feet wet and start becoming acclimated with the assignments already given, but they want me to start working on it right away. I just don't want to become overwhelmed. I want to be able to devote my time and energy to a small number of things so I can do them efficiently and effectively. Peace Corps wants us to create things that are sustainable, and this won't be the case if I'm being pulled in several directions. The issue now is priortizing. If you ask my direct supervisors at the school, all of these things are pressing issues that need my immediate attention. I know that certain things may have to be pushed back so they can get my full attention. Decisions, decisions, decisions. There's more that I'm doing and excited about, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention it in my blog...so I'll just send that out in an email. I sound really busy, and I am, but I'm happy and excited. If you know me, you know I like to remain busy always...my hands will always find something to do. Keep me in prayer though!

Amahoro (peace)

No comments:

Post a Comment